Monday, January 12, 2009

The Cart Before the Horse

Since I had my funny feeling that J and I might have trouble TTC, I ordered a Fertell test kit to see what it would say. My FSH test came out within normal limits, but J's was, well, negative for lack of a better term :) 
So, the day before I found out I was pregnant in June, J had a SA done. We never got the results because we thought we didn't need them, but on Monday J went to see the Doc for something and he went over the analysis with him. I wished I'd been there, but here are the main points:
  • Count = 8 mil/mL (very low)
  • Viability = 69% (low)
  • Motility = 60% (normal)
  • Vigor = 2+ poor activity with slow forward progression
  • Morphology = I couldn't really understand what it was trying to tell me
Because of the very low count and other low factors, Doc recommended J bank sperm at a local fertility clinic in case I wanted to pursue ART options while J was away. I was hit with all of this when I walked in the door last Monday, and we were lucky enough to get J appointments on Thursday and Saturday. I went with him on Saturday to hear how Thursday's specimen looked. The Dr said that they got 3 vials and that the numbers were much better, 50 mil/mL, but that the motility was low and that the sperm were still "a little sluggish." The Dr also said that the specimen would have been ideal for IUI, because you never know how the sperm will do when they thaw. Such a strange concept.
Of course, we have no idea what we are doing! I've never been specifically tested for fertility issues, and I'm not sure that I want to go through with all of that without my husband around. I feel very confused and torn. I really want to start a family soon, but it would be strange to get pregnant with my husband thousands of miles away. Plus, we're probably moving this summer, so do we really want to start down this road just to switch doctors/clinics? I'm just not sure. I feel like we've put the cart before the horse, WAAAYY before. Though at the same time, I'd love to think that I could be PG this year. I don't know...

No comments: