Sunday, March 22, 2009

More Research

Ever since Dr. A told me that late ovulation could be a fertility issue, and I looked it up, I've had this nagging feeling that maybe my older eggs had something to do with my blighted ovum. Tonight I did some more reading and here is what I found:

“What causes a blighted ovum? A blighted ovum is the cause of about 50% of first trimester miscarriages and is usually the result of chromosomal problems. A woman’s body recognizes abnormal chromosomes in a fetus and naturally does not try to continue the pregnancy because the fetus will not develop into a normal, healthy baby. This can be caused by abnormal cell division, or poor quality sperm or egg.” (americanpregnancy.org)

“Some research seems to indicate that a blighted ovum may be more common in older mothers and is usually a problem with the egg rather the sperm.” (misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com) 


While we'll never actually know what happened, and that's okay, it makes sense that it might have been my 21 day old egg that was the issue. Lovely. 

No comments: