Friday, October 9, 2009

Baby Looking Great!

I had my OB exam today @ 11w1d. The office called me two days ago to reschedule my appt since the mid-wife wouldn't be in for some reason and instead of waiting till next week they got me another appt with a doc. Okay, no big deal. I was kind of looking forward to meeting the mid-wife, but we still have lots of time and appts to get to know each other.

So, I get up at 7am (ugh that was early, I'm spoiled in my new role as housewife) and we leave at 8:30 to get there at 9:30. Even though my appt is at 10, they were adamant about being a 1/2 hour early. I check-in right on time at 9:25 and have a seat with J. Time goes by and I start to realize that women checking-in after me are being called back. Since I used to work in a very busy clinic I rationalized that these other women must be seeing different docs, have emergencies, etc. Well, by 10:12 after four women have come and gone before me, I'm thinking something's not right, so I kindly ask the receptionist about it. She looks at the clock, says they're a little behind. I don't believe her. By 10:38 a total of eight women have come and gone before me and my hormones start taking over. I'm so frustrated that I'm nearly in tears (lovely not being able to control your own emotions!). Then I notice her talking to a nurse, then looking at me. Then the nurse looks at me and walks down the hall. She quickly comes back and calls my name. Turns out the receptionist put my file in the wrong place!

The nice nurse who I saw at my last appt takes me back, preps me and apologizes about the mix-up. Fine, it happens... Moving on, it turns out that I won't be seeing a female doc, I'll be seeing a male doc. Umm, not comfortable with that change! I haven't had a male doc give me a full exam since I was 12 and stopped seeing my pediatrician- because he was male! The doc seems nice enough, and I'm so nervous about getting to the u/s that I just say "okay" and get on with it. In the end, no big deal, but if one more thing were to change I would have had a hormonal meltdown!

Then comes the u/s. The nurse gets J and he joins us. It takes the doc a bit to find Baby (in which time both J and I had mini heart attacks), then finally I start to make out a little figure moving around. Of course the u/s probe is crap and there is a big "cloud" over the image, but we see Baby a bit and get to hear the heartbeat again. I think that is when I finally exhaled! The pic we got is not so good, but we've been spoiled by the awesome shots from the 1st u/s :o)

Here's Baby at 11w1d!


When I got home I decided that it was time to tell the world the good news, so I posted it on Fbook. Funny, now I'm the one posting "baby" pics for all to see... how strange...

No comments: